Overview: “Just what we parents and teachers are hoping for—a research-based, carefully chosen, playful experience that supports key literacy skills.” – Patty McGee, literacy consultant and author of Feedback that Moves Writers Forward (forthcoming)
Sight word learning made fun for kids!
Set little word learners, artists, and storytellers free in a literacy playground with three unique play centers: Play Hangman, Word Gallery, Story Studio. Plus letter tracing practice and activity. No In-App purchases or ads.
• Play Hangman with sight words and pictures.
• Draw pictures of won words in the Word Gallery.
• Record stories in the Story Studio.
• Practice handwriting in Letter Practice activity.
• Supports visual, auditory and kinesthetic learners
• Evidence and research-based and developed in collaboration with literacy and arts educators
• Castledown font used in app created especially for use by elementary aged-school children and recognized as a “font designed to help kids learn to read and write.” Sans-serif, dyslexic friendly.
• Fun rewards badges tied to literacy activities of spelling, drawing, and writing.
• Grownups Dashboard offers analytics about gameplay and user activity
HangArt puts an artful twist on the classic word game Hangman. Kids ages five and up use the building blocks of spelling, handwriting practice, drawing, and storytelling to play, create, and imagine.
• Play alone, with friends, or with families using words and pictures.
• Recognize, practice, and learn to read sight words with hangman game that contains 200 sight words from Kindergarten through Grade 3 Dolch, Fry, and Teachers College lists. Game increases in difficulty based on player’s performance.
• Each word comes with an original illustration inspired by global arts, culture, and diversity.
• Hints, First letter, and Last Letter support available.
• Kid voiceovers model letters and words and support English Language Learners.
• Strengthen handwriting skills with upper and lowercase tracing with Castledown, which Wired magazine calls “a custom font designed to help kids learn to read and write”
• 200 original illustrations of sight words.
• Playback illustrations of won words serve as mini-drawing lessons for young artists.
• Kids draw their own pictures of won words and add to create a custom Word Gallery
• Players use the same custom drawing tool used by HangArt’s artist to create and add their own drawings for sight words.
• Unique drawing tool captures data points of kids drawings, then saves to playback.
• Shake device to select images, then create and record illustrated stories in Story Studio.
• Audio recording feature ideal for early readers who want to flex creative muscles and imagination, but cannot write yet.
• Edit function allows more advanced players to revise stories.
• All stories can be saved and played back as mini-books.
More Unique Features:
• Two-player mode ideal for family gameplay and classroom collaboration
Classroom and Family Friendly: Reinterprets the traditional “hangman” as a man who hangs from a monkey or parallel bar, falling off when you lose a word!
• Get unique insights about kids’ sight word learning and literacy progress in the Grownups Dashboard
• Build a growth mindset in children with model language to encourage gameplay in Grownups Dashboard
• Encourage self-evaluation in children with a word self-rating emoji feature (similar to the “pain-scale”)
• Sound FX On/Off options
• Kid Voiceovers to support non-readers
• Letter name when a letter is touched in the alphabet
• Word name when hangman word is completed
• Alphabetic keyboard
• Uppercase or lowercase letters gameplay
• Audio recording in Story Studio to train and create little podcasters
This app has no advertisements